Celebrate National Family Meals Month this September with Food City! Studies show that families who take the time to eat together at home are not only happier, but healthier as well.
Family meals provide numerous benefits for adults and especially children. Kids who take part in regular family meals:
- Set healthier habits that often continue into adulthood.
- Do well in school and get into trouble less often.
- Have better mental health and positive relationships with family members.
Family meals not only improve emotional well-being, but physical health as well. People who prepare meals at home and eat at the dinner table:
- Eat about 200 fewer calories and 16 grams of sugar less each day than those who go out to eat at restaurants.
- Eat more fruits, vegetables and whole grains which are high in valuable nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Have lower BMIs and are less likely to be overweight. (BMI or Body Mass Index is a measure of body fat based on weight and height and can help determine health risks.)
Despite all these benefits, research shows that only 30% of American families share dinner every night. We know that juggling jobs, kids, and the demands of a busy life can often get in the way of family mealtimes.
So, looking for a quick and easy recipe? Check out Food City’s Meal and Recipe center. You can choose from a large database of recipes, add ingredients to your shopping list, and even load coupons to your Valuecard. Family meals can still be delicious and nutritious with limited time and preparation involved.
Plus, they’ve even created a special collection of Family Meals Month Recipes to help you out. Here are a few favorites to get your mouth-watering.
This is the perfect time to focus on your family’s happiness and health by eating meals together. Join Food City and Raise Your Mitt to Commit to making memories and improving health!