Every good tailgating party always involved some delicious foods and this season will be no exception! Typical tailgating foods are high in calories, fat and sodium. This time around still have a great time and good eats but don’t feel guilty about the food choices you make before the big game! Eating healthy is all about moderation. Choose 1 of your favorite dishes and then pair it with healthier dishes to create a balanced meal. Consider some of the following changes and recipes when you’re preparing for your tailgate.
Healthy Side Dishes Options:
• Carrot hummus with cauliflower or roasted beet hummus with orange peppers.
• Fruit salad- cantaloupe and pears or cantaloupe and red grapes. *Save time by buying pre-cut fruit from the Food City Produce Department.
• Roasted sweet potatoes and white onion OR roasted sweet potatoes and red onion. Prebake in oven or cook on skewers on the grill. *Save time by buying vegetables from the Food City Shortcuts section in the Produce department.
• Crackers with Swiss cheese and sliced peaches OR crackers with cheddar cheese and sliced plum
• Consider grab and go options from the Food City Deli department. Healthier options include cole slaw, broccoli salad, and pimento cheese. Just remember portion size!
• In the mood for something salty? Choose lightly salted pretzels or baked chips for less sodium and fat.
- Fruit infused water- oranges, strawberries, raspberries, etc.
- For every 1 high-cal beverages, drink 1 bottle of water
– Elizabeth Hall, RDN, LDN
Food City Registered Dietitian